Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June 14, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

June 14, 1963
Stamford Mirror Recorder,  Oct 15 1931
Friday, cloudy, 50s mostly. Wayne and I went to Cobleskill in pm.  I washed cups and silverware for Anne and took them over to camp.   Girls and I were there at night.   Rained almost all of the night.  LaVerne and Roberta were here in the evening a few minutes.
Comment:  The "camp" is Ferris Camp that Louise Ferris Hubbard, wife of my grandfather, Elmer Hubbard, converted from a beer garden and hunting camp into a church camp affiliated with the Flat Creek Baptist Church and they would hold vacation "Bible School" there.   Not sure who Anne is, but probably someone running the school that summer.  
My memories of Ferris camp include my folks telling me how the infant son of Claude Ferris and Louise drowned in the large concrete swimming pool that was never again re-filled after the incident, the black and white televised Joe Louis and Billy Conn heavyweight fight my father took us to on June 19, 1946, my father going to see Claude Ferris in his dairy barn to borrow some money while I eyed his gorgeous 13-year-old blond daughter, Delores, (I was 14), and the nights that Dad would come home drunk after drinking there.  I also heard that the notorious bootlegger, Legs Diamond, visited Claude one time to encourage him to buy his booze from Legs and that Claude quickly complied.  

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"