Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


June 21, 1963
Friday, cloudy,  cold,  40,  windy.  I did a big wash.  David went to Conn. with Sandy and her folks to her brother's graduation.  Doug called at 9 pm and wanted us to meet him in Catskill at 3:30 am.  Gerald went after him.  The girls and I went to Cobleskill shopping in the afternoon.
Comment:  Boy, sure don't remember that early am trip.  Not sure if I met a bus or a train.  I used to take a train from Fort Dix to Grand Central then catch a bus to Catskill..on one of the trips, I heard the Everly Brothers sing "Bye Bye Love" on a transistor radio that another passenger had and I never forgot it.
The first day of summer and it's 40 and windy, sounds like Portland in 2011..
For some historical perspective on the initial era of rock 'n roll here is a link to "Bye Bye Love" and their Wikipedia entry:  I never knew they were that close to Chet Atkins and Buddy Holly....




No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"