Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


June 20, 1963
Thursday,  70’s.  Partly cloudy.  Carol and I went to school in am to Sue's exercises.  I still didn’t feel good.  Roberta, Diana, and Colleen here in the afternoon for a few minutes.  Wayne worked for Raymond Brown.  Carol went to Oneonta with David and Sandy and got a white pleated skirt and white heels.  Girls and I went to a prayer meeting at night.
Comment:  "Poor spell" hanging on, Carol gets ready for something, probably a school function. Raymond Brown had a gas station and farm in Broom Center right at the top of the hill.  Not sure if Wayne was working on the farm or the in the gas station...Bonnie Brown, who married Vic Mace, was in my class at school.  Shirley Brown was in my sister Marilyn's class.  Jimmy Cushman, a foster child the Browns were raising was a class behind me.  He was a street kid from New York City and was very tough and established his "cred" on his first day in school by almost strangling  Jimmy Rogers on the driveway in front of the school that we used for a playground in the winter, that was a degree of take-no-quarter-violence that us country boys did not see during our scuffles. I did not see the fight but did see Prof Peckham hauling Jimmy off to his office and the Rogers boy white as a sheet, following behind.  Jimmy Cushman was very bright and funny, extremely loyal,  and we became pretty good friends during 7th and 8th grade.  But then he left school to go into the Navy and I never heard anything about him again.  If anyone knows anything about him, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.....Here is a picture of the school as it was in 1956...the year I graduated.

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"