Saturday, June 09, 2012

Tuesday, June 9, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

June 9, 1964
Tuesday warm and humid 70's.  I did a big wash and  went to Louvilla's after plants she kept for me.  David and Gerald went job hunting.  Gerald got one with Bonded. I set out tomato plants.
Comment:  The job was delivering hot asphalt to various roofing and paving companies around the Capitol District area of New York.  I drove a White tractor with Road Ranger Transmission pulling a 7000 gallon tanker.  The trailer had propane heating equipment to keep the asphalt hot enough to pump out to the holding tanks for the companies.  After riding with experienced drivers for a couple of days, I took my first solo trip and promptly got hopelessly lost on some hilly, narrow streets in Schenectady.  By the time I had delivered all the asphalt, I had a blister the size of a golf ball on the palm of my right hand from shifting the transmission so much...it was not a lot of fun.  Sickening fumes, sticky, hot asphalt that would leave blisters at a touch, and lots of high pressure connections, that if not totally secure, could spew asphalt for yards around.  All the delivery points were splattered and blackened with spilled asphalt.....

1 comment:

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Barry Taylor: Talking about asphalt I once had a job on a T2 tanker hauling 120,000 barrels of it.
Deck so hot we had to wear wooden shoes. Trip from Pichlake, Trinidad to Fall River Mass.
cuz B

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"