Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tuesday, June 16, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

June 16, 1964
Tuesday, 35, clear, fair, cold.  David got home from Massachusetts about 7:30 am.  I wrote to Marilyn and Doug.  Did some more ironing.  Sue went to school 1/2 day.  Gerald was called to work at 5 am.  David went to NY with Tommy Renz.
Comment: David gone all night on a charcoal run, him and I off again today...early.....I hope we're making good money....here is my memories of Truck Driving.....performed by David Hubbard.....
Truck Driving


I’ve hauled bark for Timberland to make charcoal briquettes
Getting paid 8 cents a mile, I took all I could get.
Brockway diesels , Screaming Jimmies, Mack B63’s
Concrete batch truck, Andrews Air Base, Washington DC

I drove to put  myself through school, just trying to change my luck
Off the farm then just discharged I drove those damned old trucks.
I’ve  hauled clinker, ice and milk and charcoal by the ton 
Double clutching, jamming gears  making midnight  runs.

Quarts of Pepsi with no food kept me tightly wired
Sleep deprived hallucinations, always over tired
Triplex, Duplex, straight 5-speeds with vacuum  shift rear ends
5 speed mains -auxiliary 3’s, combos with out  end

I  always got them figured out sometimes while on the road
And I always drove those damned old trucks, as fast as they would go
I’ve left smoking strips of rubber and watched those big duals burn
When I locked them up to miss a car as they made a no-left turn

I’ve endured  the deadly boredom then the special thrill
When I blew the air brake diaphragms at the top of a steep hill
I’ve passed semis 3 abreast on  narrow 2 lane roads
Trying to keep momentum up with twenty  five ton loads

I’ve seen my trailer in my mirrors skid and come around
And damn near jack knife tires sliding on the icy ground
I’ve rolled backwards down a hill in a state of abject terror
When I missed a shift and stalled it out and my trailer brakes lost air

I got it started, revved it up and jammed it  into low
The tractor reared high in the air when I popped the clutch to go
So when I’m on an the interstate and see a big rig roll
I want to be there in that  seat but I guess now I’m too old

I know I’ll probably never get to go back to those times
But  sometimes just before I sleep I hear a diesel whine
And I feel the  deep vibrations of a big rig in my bones
And I drive a midnight highway, fast and young and wild,  alone.

And I feel the  deep vibrations of a big rig in my bones
And I drive a midnight highway, fast and young and wild,  alone.

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"