Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

March 30, 1963
Saturday. Cloudy and rain 50’s. Clifton and I left for New Jersey about 10 am and arrived there about 2:30 took Rt 9W instead of the Thruway as the car wasn't running too good. Wayne took the girls to LaVerne's in am.

Comment:  This is about the only trip Mom and Dad took that I remember other than trips to California to see Marilyn.  They were going to see Ella Mae Laraway, a relative of Bessie, Mom's mother.  They took 9W because if you broke down on the New York State Truway, you had to use the Thruway towing and repair services which were very expensive compared to services off the toll road.   Dad always took tools with him to do minor repairs and I think the habit rubbed off on me and some of the other boys.  I always have a toolbox in my car, although with all the computerized stuff in the cars now, I probably could not do much.  Back then, one could do ignition, fuel line and other mechanical repairs with common tools.....
9W ran down the west side of the Hudson River with beautiful views of the mountains, the river and West Point.......I used to drive it with an 18 wheeler a short way hauling milk from Prospect Dairy in Stamford to Poughkeepsie and Peekskill, NY.

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"