Tuesday, March 08, 2011

March 8, 1963, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

March 8, 1963
Friday. Partly cloudy 30’s. Carol was home from school, she was getting the flu. I washed in the am. We went to Catskill in pm. Merle and Ella both sick with flu. I had a letter from Doug and wrote to him.
Comment:  And the flu spreads.....I get a sense of despondency from the entry...kinda same shit, different day, damp, cloudy and cold...folks getting sick, but the mail provides a small diversion, receiving it and responding to it...I can envision my mother sitting at the table in the kitchen looking out the window toward the barn...South Mountain cloudy in the distance, probably the radio on to The Sword Of The Lord or similar station....


No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"