Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Friday, March 6, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

March 6, 1964
Friday,  partly cloudy and cool.  I washed in am. After, we picked up Dean and went to El Patio for coffee.  Marilyn worked from 6 am to 2 pm.  My cold was worse.  Wrote to Mother.  Marilyn and Jim went to Rykers for supper and stopped in here a few minutes after.
Comment:  Why some people keep diaries:  I think each paragraph contains a reason that Mom would "diary" but the entry by Sylvia Plath is probably closest to the mark...


What sort of diary should I like mine to be? Something looseknit and yet not slovenly, so elastic that it will embrace anything, solemn, slight or beautiful that comes into my mind. I should like it to resemble some deep old desk, or capacious hold-all, in which one flings a mass of odds and ends without looking them through....Virginia Woolf

I love this process by which each passing day is captured, not only its impressions, but also, at least by suggestion, its intellectual direction and content as well, less for the purpose of rereading and remembering than for taking stock, reviewing, maintaining awareness, achieving perspective.
(Thomas Mann, Thomas Mann: Diaries 1918-1939, selected by Hermann Kesten, translated by Richard Winston. Robin Clark Ltd., 1984)

As of today I have decided to keep a diary again--just a place where I can write my thoughts and opinions when I have a moment. Somehow I have to keep and hold the rapture of being seventeen. Every day is so precious, I feel infinitely sad at the thought of all this time melting farther and farther away from me as I grow older. Now, now is the perfect time of my life.
(Sylvia Plath,

[O]ne of the pleasures of reading diaries, it seems to me, is that they are . . . like conversations, even if the conversation is with oneself. Wanting to hold such a conversation is one reason for keeping a diary; another is that it slows down time.
(Alan Bennett, Writing Home.

1 comment:

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Charlotte: HI, sure enjoyed the comment you featured today. I enjoy reading your Mother's daily entries so much. I am already getting anxious about the long drive back to NY state like it is in the present time. All of the family members living in the Chattanooga area didn't receive any damage from the tornadoes Friday. My oldest son stopped by this morning and picked up several bags of supplies for the residents of Tellico Plains. His cabin isn't far from that area and he has trout fished and camped at Tellico since a teenager. All is well at his cabin no damage. No one died in the Chattanooga area which is a miracle. So much destruction only a few miles from my home.

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"