Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 27, The Frances Hubbard Diaries


July 27, 1963
Saturday, hot and humid, 80’s. Maude called said Aunt Ethel Haskins died 10 am.  Lorraine called and we ordered flowers for the funeral.  Carol and I went to camp in am and got Sue.  Called on Lousie a few minutes.  Had letters from Marilyn.
Comment:  Ethel Haskins was the wife of Almearon Haskin, the brother of my grandmother Agnes.  He died in 1961, aged 86.  They are the grandparents of Charlotte, Loretta, Beatrice, Bob, Reggie and Tommy Haskin and others.  Aunt Ethel was 84 when she died.  I remember her as quite small.  Almearon played the fiddle and called square dances in the area.  This is their wedding photo on April 11. 1897.  Some good looking folks...Thanks to Beatrice Haskin for the information in her book Haskins In The Hills....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Charlotte: Didn't realize 7/27/63 was the date Grandma Haskin passed. She was the most important person in my upbringing such a lady and you are right so small never weighed 100 lbs. I shared it with my sons and grandsons. Not sure you realize how much your Mother's diary entries means to all of us and thanks again. charlotte
- Show quoted text -

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog! Aunt Ethel was a big part of our family's lives. She was the sister of my grandmother who died when my mom was only 9. We spent a good deal of time up at Aunt Ethel's and were all saddened by her death. She was a feisty, little lady with so much life and love. Everyone loved Aunt Ethel! Linda Mormile

Anonymous said...

Love this picture of my great grandparents and so grateful to have Charlotte and Aunt Bee share their memories with me. ❤️❤️ Cindy Buel

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"