Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Saturday, May 1, 1965 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

May 1, 1965
Saturday, nice day, 60's. We went shopping in Middleburgh, home at about 1 pm.  David had to go to National Guard Duty.  Sue went to Central Bridge with Wayne and Laura in pm.  Gerald and Mary Ann came early Sunday morning.

Gerald, Carol, Susan, Dad, David, Wayne, LaVerne
Comment: Me, LaVerne, Doug, Marilyn, and David all served in the military in one way or another.  Three years in the Army for me, two for Laverne, 4 years in the Marines for Marilyn, and four in the Navy for Doug.  David served in the National Guard for six years.   Here is an old picture of me with the family when they visited me at Fort Devens, Massachusetts in 1957 just before I shipped out for the Army Language School in Monterey, CA.  I was on a 3 day 16  hour a day stretch of KP, (kitchen duty for all you civilians) when they arrived and the mess sergeant let me off for a couple of hours to see them.  The transit company I was in only had about 30 guys but still had to draw the duty of a full company of about 200, so it was a pretty grueling period of continuous  KP and guard duty...on the other hand, nobody was shooting at me so it wasn't that bad.....

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"