Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Friday, April 30 1965 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

April 30, 1965
Friday, high cloudiness, windy, 60's.  I washed in am and cleaned all through.  We took the girls to Grand Gorge at night to roller skate and stopped at LaVerne's and Roberta's.  Opel wouldn't run and we left it in Grand Gorge and LaVerne had to come and take us home.
Comment:  Wow, that Opel has kept tickin' for a long time......

Here is the story behind it:  The '54 Opel For $87.50    

The dealer in Middleburg wanted a couple of hundred for it, but the engine had what I thought was a knock, so I was very leery of the car.  While brother David and I were taking it for a test drive, we ran into Donald Tompkins who was very savvy about cars and equipment.  He determined that the “knocking” was a bent push rod that could easily be fixed.
 Donald helped me take the valve cover off the engine, pulled out the 8” push rod, and hit it with a ball peen hammer a couple of times to straighten and reinstall it.  Donald did the repair on the street in Middleburg with tools he carried in his truck. 
 The car ran perfectly. We took the car back to the dealer and  I dickered for a while until we agreed upon $87.50 and I bought the car.
 I ran the car for about 3 years.  It was super in snow, plowing through 8-10 inch snow drifts on Rt 30A  while driving to Gloversville to see Mary Ann.
We ended up dragging it over in the woods and junking it after I broke a rear axle somehow.  I loved that car...

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"