Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tuesday, January 12, 1965 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

January 12, 1965
Tuesday, 20's. Beautiful sunny day.  Clifton and I went to Mother's for dinner and shopped.  I got Sue red wool for skirt and cut it out at night.
Comment: Mom is doing a lot of sewing....From Marna Ford clarifying the Christmas letter and card Mom got from: Hello! Ralph and Chloe Howard went to our Baptist Church. They had one daughter named Janu (not sure of the spelling on her name). Ralph was a school teacher and would also teach Sunday School to the children at church. Ralph fell into a combine when he was 15 or 16. He had no hands and only one arm cut off above his elbow. He wore a prosthetic that was a hook, operated by his opposite shoulder with a shrug to open and close his hook. He could drive, write and eat by himself. He was a cheerful man, had no self pity  and I never realized he was "handicapped". I'm not sure anyone knows where they are now.
Happy New Year! Today I'm in beautiful Venice Beach helping with my darling grandson, Ford.


1 comment:

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Sister Marilyn: About Ralph: The Howard’s were close friends of mine. He lost both arms in a combine as a young man. Mud packed his wounds and saved his life. Used an artificial arm hook so well. Could leaf the pages of his Bible as well as I. He Taught school. One time someone asked me what happened to Ralph? and I did not know what they were talking about. He fit in so well you were not aware of his disability.
Marilyn




You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"