Friday, July 29, 2011

July 29, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


July 29, 1963
Monday, still hot and humid but not as bad a Sunday,  more wind, sunny. Sue and I took Carol to camp in am.  Ethel Haskin's funeral.  I didn’t go because so hot.  Did some sewing. Thundershowers at night.
Comment:  Ethel Bates Haskins was buried 58 years ago today.  Here are some memories of her from family in tribute to her:


From Great Aunt Ethel's Granddaughter Deb:  My mom (Joan Haskin Tiger) and I lived with Grandma Haskin and Almearon right before Almearon died, as a matter of fact, they held the viewing in the bedroom Mom and I shared. Grandma made the best oatmeal in the world, it tasted like pudding. She took should good care of Almearon before he died. I never remember her raising her voice. My children love the stories I tell them about their great great grandmother. 
Do you remember the big dog (boxer) I think, it seemed like that dog was always getting on the bad side of a porcupine. After the rain we would pop the blisters on the tar road, the blueberry picking, going to the outhouse, pumping water from the sink, playing house on the big rock. the old wood stove, so much more
Thank you for posting these messages it brings back the sweetest memories for so many people. 



From Charlotte Carlton Haskin: Didn't realize 7/27/63 was the date Grandma Haskin passed. She was the most important person in my upbringing such a lady and you are right so small never weighed 100 lbs. I shared it with my sons and grandsons. Not sure you realize how much your Mother's diary entries mean to all of us and thanks again. charlotte


Anonymous From Linda Reed Mormile



I love your Blog! Aunt Ethel was a big part of our family's lives. She was the sister of my grandmother who died when my mom was only 9. We spent a good deal of time up at Aunt Ethel's and were all saddened by her death. She was a feisty, little lady with so much life and love. Everyone loved Aunt Ethel! Linda

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"