Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

September 25, 1963


Wednesday, 35-68,  beautiful, clear, sunny and warm.  I did ironing.  Went to prayer meeting at night, Carol didn't go.
Comment:  Sounds like a gorgeous day on the hill, leaves probably turned to the fall colors, the scent of autumn is in the air, squirrel hunting season started September 1 with a daily limit of 6.  


In the fifties, I hunted squirrels a lot in the fall afternoons after the school bus dropped us off about 4pm.  I used a .22 pump action with an octagon barrel.  I do not know where it came from.  I would go into the Earl's beech woods just to the west of our property and north of  Hubbard Road.  There were lots of squirrels that would hide and fall silent as I walked into the woods.  I'd sit under a tree for a couple of minutes without moving and the squirrels would come out and resume their activities.  I'd slowly draw a bead  and pop one then resume my quiet sitting.  In a short while, the squirrels would come out again and I'd pop another one.  I'd usually get three or four then collect them and take them to the house to skin and butcher.  


After butchering, I'd soak all the meat in salt water overnight then fry it in butter and eat it.  It tasted a lot like the brown meat of chicken..somewhere I've heard:  "Squirrel hunting is easy; just sit out in the woods and act like a nut".... worked for me....






No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"