Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Thuds Partly cloudy -4to 20. I cut out my stripe dress and sewed on it. Clifton worked on David's car in afternoon and David finished at night. Girls and I went to prayer meeting with Lybs? At Leonards.
Comment: David's car appears to be a never-ending saga and we have not heard the last of it yet. Prayer meeting must have been at Leonard Reynolds, the father of Paul Reynolds, and grandfather to Mark and Steven Reynolds, Susan's children. Leonard Reynolds was probably the first person I ever saw play the guitar live. I remember that he stopped in at the house for some reason and somebody mentioned a guitar or song and Leonard went out to his car, got his guitar and played a couple of songs for us. He played some old country-western song, probably Hank Williams, and I remember how loud it seemed and also how "hickish" since I was in the throes of the first inklings of rock and roll coming through on late night car radio stations. We could never keep a radio working in the house because of the destructive kids so we went out and listened to music on the car radio. I also remember Leonard telling us about his war experiences in Europe and how one day he watched as the sky was completely filled with our bombers heading for Germany and that this went on all day, an endless stream of airplanes. My taste in music changed when I started trying to play guitar. The three, easy-chord country and western songs were the only ones I could play; unfortunately, that's still pretty much true.
One time at Tom O'Hara's gas station, I heard Leonard accompany Donald Cornell as Donald sang the Lovesick Blues by Hank Williams and that has stuck with me my whole life. Donny was a helluva singer and also one of the best cross country runners in the school. Below is a video of Hand singing the song. Donald mimicked it exactly with all the voice breaks and intonations.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"