Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

February, 22 1963
Fri. Very cold -10 to 2. David started at Timberland.  Wayne and David went to dance at school. Davids car knocked worse and he left it at the corner and Wayne brought him home. I did some ironing and mending.
Comment:  We always were messing with the used cars we bought.  I do not remember my Dad ever buying a new car.  I did not buy a new car until 1967 and then the damn thing came in the wrong color.  I'd ordered a blue 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 XL  Hardtop Convertible and it came in green.  A red one is below.  When we did have a car problem, we usually tried to fix it our selves and if it required more than taking it apart and putting it back together, we usually went to Raymond Brown's in Broom Center and sometimes to Tom O'Hara in Prattsville.  Tom helped me fix a Ford Falcon when I burned the valves out driving from Niagara Falls where Mary Ann and I lived when we first got married  in 1965.  Tom let me use his bay and tools and supervised me while I took the head off the engine and removed the valves.  He then took a look and said they had to be "ground" and arranged for that at a machine shop close by.  I took the valves there and returned to have Tom guide me in grinding the valve seats and then when the valves were done, he supervised the re-assembly.  He only charged me for the valve grinding and nothing for his labor or facilities......


No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"