Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

January 28, 1963
Mon Cloudy -3 to 8 above snow squalls and windy till middle of afternoon.  There  was bright sunshine but still windy and cold and drifting snow. No school because roads drifted, boys went to Grand Gorge in the P.M. to get medicine for Dougs cold.  I did some ironing, men spent most of the day getting cars and tractors started and garage shoveled out.  Miserable day.  LaVerne and Roberta here at night a few minutes, took our chain saw to use at the plant. (Timberland Charcoal, Stamford, NY.)
Comment:  LaVerne was the manager of of the charcoal plant and helped me get a job driving tractor trailer for Joe Gallo (an investor in the plant) delivering the charcoal to retail outlets through out New York State, I took some runs into northern Pennsylvania to pick up product from a sister plant there.  I also hauled bark out of the Mechanicville, NY paper mills  I got 8 cents a mile and had to unload the damned stuff and not matter how hard I tried to stay clean, I was black as coal with charcoal dust embedded in every pore after unloading.  The dust was so fine that it would seep through the stitchings on the containers.   I chronicled some of those incidents in a previous blog post:  Click this link to listen:  Hubbard Music Mountain: Truck Driving, By Gerry Hubbard, Performed By Davi...:





No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"