Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 26, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

January 26, 1963
Sat Mostly sunny 18 in am. I washed in am,  hung a line full outside and really dried good.  Didn’t do much in the PM had a headache.  The girls went sleigh riding with Awana at night.  Clifton  and I went to Evelyn's and Clifford's for a few minutes and picked up girls at parsonage.  It started to snow in evening and continued all night.  Gerald called from Mary Ann's and said he wouldn't be home.  Sold 3 cows to Bartholomew's, they picked them up at night.
Comment:  Probably stayed overnight in Gloversville because of the snow.  Rt30A was a nightmare in the winter with heavy drifting snow.  Evelyn and Clifford Taylor lived in Franklington, NY and Clifford ran a general store there for several years.  The picture is of Evelyn and Clifford with Glenn and Barry Taylor in front of the Elmer Hubbard home.  Glenn died of kidney failure when he was 21.  Here is a SongPoemStory about my last ride with him:  Click To Hear:  Hubbard Music Mountain: Last Ride With Glenn Taylor, Gerry Hubbard:



Glen Taylor was a gorgeous kid.  I’ve got a picture where
He’s standing with my brother Doug with big curls in his hair.
He grew up warm and kind and fun and I’m still pissed off today, that He died of kidney failure cause his family couldn't pay.

He drove a Karmen Ghia in the last year of his life,
He was in his early twenties and about to take a wife.
I must have been on army leave when he took me for a ride
In that hot foreign convertible and we both damn nearly died.

We were driving on the fire roads in the hills behind Earl’s lake
When he said “I’ve never seen a curve this baby couldn’t take.
He drove that narrow gravel road at 80 miles per
Then spun the wheel and tapped the brakes and broad slid thru the curve.

Then the dust and gravel flew, tag alders slapped the side
As he hit the gas & straightened out and kept on that wild ride.
He looked at me and flashed a grin, the devil in his eye,
And slyly chuckled as he said, “You think you want to try?”

His last words were “I’ve had it.” his brother Barry said,
As his family and his fiancé were gathered round his bed.
I think if he had had the chance to be with us today,
He’d be lot like Uncle Earle, I remember him that way.

As I remember all these folks in corny line and verse
“Being a lot like Uncle Earle?” You could do a whole lot worse.
So there you have it, it’s all done, a great kid’s come and gone,
That gorgeous child with the great big curl, dead at 21.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice remembrance of Glen Taylor. I wish I had a chance to know him and Uncle Earl.

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"