Saturday, January 15, 2011

Singing In Bed




Singing In Bed
When we were younger, LaVerne and I slept together.  I think I was about  6 and LaVerne was 10 and before we went to sleep, LaVerne would start singing old “cowboy” songs and before long we were singing them together.  I’m not sure where he learned the songs.  Dad might have sang them but I think LaVerne was also getting them from the radio.
 
I  remember singing “When The Works All Done This Fall” and another song with the line, “if she’d been the pal that she should’ve, he might have been raising a son, instead of out there on the prairie, to die by a ranger’s gun.”  One of these days I will research that song and get the lyrics.  It would be a great song to teach the grand kids.
 
I also have vague memories of singing other songs, hymns probably, and then I also remember Mom coming in and telling us that we would have to stop and go to sleep.  

Well, I researched the song and here it is in all it’s male-chauvinist-pig glory so, maybe it’s not a real good song to teach to the grand kids.  It is followed by the lyrics of “When The Works All Done This Fall”. 


I’ve Got No Use For The Women by Gene Autry

I’ve got no use for the women
A true one may seldom be found
They'll use a man for his money
When it's gone they'll turn him down
They're all alike at the bottom
Selfish and grasping for all
They'll stay by a man when he's winning
And laugh in his face when he falls
My pal was an honest young puncher
Honest and upright and true
Till he turned to a gun shooting gambler
On account of a girl named Lou
They fell in with evil companions
The kind that are better off dead
When a gambler insulted her picture
He filled him full of lead
Off in the long night they trailed him
Through mesquite and thick chaparral
I couldn't help think of that woman
As I saw him pitch and fall
If she'd been the pal that she should have
He might have been raising a son
Instead of out there on the prairie
To die by a Ranger's gun
Death's sharp sting did not trouble
His chances for life were too slim
Where they were putting his body
Was all that worried him
He lifted his head on his elbow
The blood from his wound flowed red
He gazed at his friends gathered round him
He looked up at them and he said
Bury me out on the prairie
Where the coyotes can howl o'er my grave
Bury me out on the prairie
But from them, my bones please save
Wrap me up in a blanket
Bury me deep in the ground
Cover me over with boulders
Of granite, big and brown
We buried him out on the prairie
Where the coyotes can howl o'er his grave
His soul is now a-resting
From the unkind cut she gave
And many another young puncher
As he rides past the pile of stones
Recalls some similar woman
And thinks of his mouldering' bones


When The Works All Done This Fall
1. A group of jolly cowboys, discussing plans at ease
Says one, I'll tell you something, boys, if you will listen, please
I am an old cow-puncher, you see me dressed in rags
I used to be a good one boys, and went on great big jags

2. I have got a home boys, a good one you all know
Although I haven't seen it since very long ago
I'm headed back to Dixie once more to see them all
I'm going to see my mother when the work's all done this fall

3. When I left my home, boys, my mother for me cried
She begged me not to go, boys, for me she would have died
My mother's heart is aching, breaking for me, that's all
With God's help I'll see her when the work's all done this fall"

Instrumental Break

4. That very night this cowboy went out to stand his guard
The night was dark and cloudy and storming very hard
The cattle, they got frightened and rushed in wild stampede
The cowboy tried to head them while riding at full speed

5. Riding in the darkness, so loudly he did shout
Trying hard to head them and turn the herd about
His saddle horse did stumble and on him it did fall
He'll not see his mother when the work's all done this fall

Instrumental Break

6. "Send my mother my wages, boys, the wages I have earned
I am so afraid, boys, the last steer I have turned
I'm headed for a new range, I hear my Master call
I'll not see my mother when the work's all done this fall

7. Fred, you take my saddle, George, you take my bed
Bill, you take my pistol after I am dead
Then think of me kindly when you look upon them all
I'll not see my mother when the work's all done this fall"

8. Charlie was buried at sunrise, no tombstone for his head
Nothing but a little board, and this is what it said
"Charlie died at daybreak, he died from a fall
He'll not see his mother when the work's all done this fall"

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"