Saturday, January 15, 2011

Nightmares




NIGHTMARES
Wayne Morris Hubbard As A Toddler On The Porch Of The Gilboa House
Several of us boys used to sleep together in the northeast bedroom of the house just off the “other part”.  We’d usually end up a tangle of bodies, particularly when the the younger three boys were from around three to seven years old.

One night, I was having nightmares wherein I was being chased by bad guys with swords with all the accompanying feelings of terror, inability to move, and the shifting scenario of swords, bloodshed and attempts to get away from them.

In one particularly horrific scene, the bad guys were cutting off every one's heads and I came awake with a start.

I was tangled up with Wayne and to my absolute horror, I discovered that his head was cut off and, very similar to the way a chicken with its head cutoff has tendons and veins protruding from the severed neck, Wayne had suffered the same fate.  There, between his arms,  were the extruding veins and tendons and no head.  I was stricken with terror.

After what seemed like an eternity of sleep paralysis and trying to find out where the bad guys were and wondering if I was next, I heard sounds coming from the bottom of the bed.  

I then realized that Wayne was sleeping upside down and what I thought were his arms were really his legs and that the tendons and veins I was feeling were his privates.

An incredible feeling of relief swept over me.  I don’t think I’ve ever related this incident before.  Of all the nightmares I’ve suffered this one is still on top of this list as the most terrifying.   

The American Psychological Association defines sleep paralysis as the “brief inability to move or speak just before falling asleep or on awakening… accompanied by hallucinations.” 1 This harmless period of immobility, derived from muscle paralysis or atonia, happens every night as a natural side-effect of dreaming sleep. But, when we become self-aware of this process, the trouble begins . . . This paralysis and its associated visions are a misunderstood aspect of the dreaming world that causes many people undue stress and shame.
-Ryan Hurd, Sleep Paralysis: A Dreamer’s Guide
As Ryan Hurd explains, Sleep Paralysis is one of the most misunderstood sleep phenomenons. If you’ve ever felt these sensations during sleep, it’s likely you suffered from Sleep Paralysis:
  • Unable to move or feeling of being held down
  • Feeling like gravity is shifting around, or that you are floating or sinking
  • Hearing strange sounds or voices such as your name being called
  • Fear and terror, feeling a presence in your room
  • Seeing an apparition or nightmare figure in your room
  • Having an out-of-body experience

2 comments:

Unknown said...

shew, they should teach this in middle schools across the country.I am sure it would reduce alot of stress in peoples lives.

Gerry Hubbard said...

I agree..there's a helluva lot they don't tell us when we sign on to this gig called living...

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"