Thursday, June 04, 2015

Monday, 4 June, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Monday, 4 June, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries
Clear, 70.  Marilyn, Jim and the kids went to Middleburgh.  Had dinner with Poppa and Billy.  I ironed in am and did some painting in the kitchen.  Gerald drove milk truck to Peekskill for Joe Gallo.
Comment:  Joe had called me a couple of days before and asked If I could immediately drive a milk rig to Norwich with a driver who was too drunk to drive.  I took the trip although I had never driven a tractor-trailer before.  Back then all you needed was a Class 1 Chauffeur's license to drive anything....I had driven ten wheeler batch trucks for HB Moore the previous summer and fall so could handle all the transmission and general truck stuff...At every stop the driver would run into the nearest bar and get another drink.  In Norwich, he took off and didn't return for about a half hour after I unloaded.  I waited for him even though the creamery guys were urging me to leave him...I did not and made a friend for life..too bad I can't remember his name..Joe appreciated it also and gave me many trips that summer...this is the truck only with a reefer...

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"