Monday, June 22, 2015

Friday, 22 June, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Friday, 22 June, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries
Partly cloudy.  I washed early in am.  Marilyn, girls and I went to Middleburgh shopping then stopped at Franklinton and helped Marilyn clean.
Comment:  Getting the rental house ready.....
  • Franklinton (also called "The Vly") – A location in the north-central part of Broome on NY-145, south of Vlaie Pond.  Vlaie or Vly is a word for swamp which comes from the Dutch settlers of the area.  We always called it The Fly....Uncle Clifford used to run this store in the early-mid forties and I remember going in and  buying stuff.  I remember him telling my Dad about some scam some "city people" tried on him involving change for a big bill but have forgotten the details.  Aunt Evelyn's and Uncle Clifford's house was up the street on the left just out of view....I have fond memories of Franklinton and playing with James Barry and Glenn Taylor, both slightly younger than I.  We also visited "The Vly"...
    Uncle Clifford Taylor's Store

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"