Monday, November 24, 2014

Thursday, 24 November, 1966, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Thursday, 24 November, 1966, The Frances Hubbard Diaries
Thanksgiving Day.  Cloudy but warm, 52.  Just David, Doug, girls, Clifton and I here. Wayne's here in evening.  Doug ran off the road near LaVerne's and LaVerne brought him home.  Jammed car roof. Doug and David went on Hall's Mountain toward night hunting.  Doug was nearly shot.  We called Marilyn in pm.
Comment:  A dangerous day for Doug....one of many on the Hill as the guns, farm animals and farm equipment occasioned many close calls.  I almost shot Doug with a 12 gauge.  We used to cut the slug out of a  shotgun shell and shoot just the wadding, kinda like a big blank shot.  So I had the idea that if  I just rolled the slug back down the barrel and then fired it, the slug would just roll out the end of the barrel.  I almost had Doug stand in front of it to test it when I changed my mind and aimed the gun at a round cast iron support post in the barn and pulled the trigger.  Of course, the slug came out full velocity and made a large and permanent dent in the pole, much to my horror at the time.....I was about twelve and Doug about eight years old......that post became a marveling focal point for me whenever I worked in or visited the barn in later years...here is what Doug said about the incidents through Michael: "I asked about the car and he said it just slid off the road, down the bank, onto some trees which damaged the roof.  He went to LaV’s, called home and Wyckoff’s got it out.  As for almost being shot, he and Uncle David were walking along and heard a gun shot and a slug bullet went between them.  He said he could actually see the bullet and it sounded like a bee….bzzzz".  27821


No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"