Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Saturday, August 1, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

August 1, 1964
Saturday, nice day, not so warm.  I baked in am.  Pat Vale came at 1:30 and stayed overnight.  Had a letter from Marilyn.  Carol came home from camp in am.  Pat and Doug picked her up.  Grandpa was moved down to Merle's.
Comment: Not sure what's going on with Grandpa, might still be sick from a couple of weeks ago.  He was always a quite vigorous man into his late seventies...I think he married Louise Ferris when he was about 65 or so.....here they are on their wedding day, I think...


From Susan:  Grandpa Elmer had a stroke that summer.  I remember Wayne, Carol and me coming home from school, and the 3 of us learned that Grandpa had had a stroke, and Carol and I were acting silly – and Wayne told us that we shouldn’t be acting that way, since our grandfather had just had a stroke.  I guess we didn’t understand the gravity of it, but Wayne did.

Louise tried to take care of him for a while by herself, and it became too much for her.  He was pretty incapacitated, as I recall.  So, they moved him to Uncle Merel’s where the family would come, and someone stay at night with him, and also nurse him during the day.  (I remember Mom asking ME if I would stay one night – but I did not want to… I was only 12!  I remember asking her what I would have to do. I still am puzzled why she would ask me…)

I believe he died a few months later.  The picture was sometime after their wedding.  Grandpa built that house that they lived in on Ferris Hill.

Love to all – Susan Hubbard Ciacci

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"