Friday, August 03, 2012

Monday, August 3, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

August 3, 1964
Hubbard Hill In Black & White.  View From The Backyard Area
Monday, clean, cool, beautiful day, 70's.  I did a big wash in am, picked beans in pm.  Doug and David worked at Timberland.  Gerald was home at 4:30 pm and left at 11 pm for Boston.  Girls and I at Merle's in evening and Lorraine's and Evelyn where there.
Comment: Everybody congregating at Uncle Merel's because of Grandpa Elmer's stroke. Here is what Susan has to say about it:  

From Susan:  Grandpa Elmer had a stroke that summer.  I remember Wayne, Carol and me coming home from school, and the 3 of us learned that Grandpa had had a stroke, and Carol and I were acting silly – and Wayne told us that we shouldn’t be acting that way, since our grandfather had just had a stroke.  I guess we didn’t understand the gravity of it, but Wayne did.

Louise tried to take care of him for a while by herself, and it became too much for her.  He was pretty incapacitated, as I recall.  So, they moved him to Uncle Merel’s where the family would come, and someone stay at night with him, and also nurse him during the day.  (I remember Mom asking ME if I would stay one night – but I did not want to… I was only 12!  I remember asking her what I would have to do. I still am puzzled why she would ask me…)

I believe he died a few months later.  

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"