Friday, August 24, 2012

Monday, August 24, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

August 24, 1964
Monday, clear, sunny, windy, 70's.  I washed in am took Liz home.  Sue went to last swim lesson.  Made relish in pm.  David and Gerald started work at a pipeline at Carlisle.  Barry, Bev., and children here at night, brought Gerald home.

Comment: Brother David and I worked as laborers on a pumping station being built for a natural gas transmission line. Cousin Barry Taylor was working at the same job as a welder. I remember seeing him inside a large pipe welding two sections of pipe together and the smoke and vapors were flying. I spent the first day inside the concrete forms for the huge box-like foundation for the pump hand wiring 8 ' pieces of re-bar together into 18 inch cubes. It was a long, miserable, hot day and Barry, I and David just had to stop at a bar in Central Bridge on the way home and see if we could drink up all the beer they had....and I think we almost did..........not sure why Barry brought me home.....

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"