Thursday, January 12, 2012

Monday, January 13, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

January 13, 1964
Monday, sunny, windy, cool, 62.  I washed and cleaned house in am.  David and Clifton each received an unemployment check.  Bad storm back east, blizzard conditions.


Comment: Bet they're glad to be out of the storms. Dad and David both must have worked at least 26 weeks before the trip to be eligible for unemployment. Dad was in the Operating Engineers and I would think David was in the laborer's union but not sure. My first paying job was as a flagman on Rt 145 between Middleburgh and Livingstonville. I drew $2.27 per hour as a member of the Common Laborer And Hod Carriers Union and worked the second shift from four- midnight most of the time. That was excellent money back them. There was a $300 initiation fee to join the union and a portion was withdrawn from my weekly paycheck. After the fee was paid off, I was laid off. I worked about 12 weeks or so......here is a union "book" similar to the one I was given......

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"