Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


August 21, 1963
Wednesday, cloudy in am,  nice day, 70’s.  Sue went to the fair with Becky.  I sewed on her dress and fixed one for myself.  Picked Sue up at night and Carol came home from Oneonta.  Wyckoff's haying here.

Comment:  Sue must have gone to the Cobleskill Fair.  The Fair was a big deal when we were kids.  The school used to take us for a day when we were in seventh grade or so and the rides, cotton candy, candied apples, and general din were, to me at least, amazing.

One vivid memory is riding on the tilt-a-whirl with Donald Tompkins and upchucking my candied apple during the ride.  Also, when  I was sixteen, and before tattoos were chic-cool, Bobby Pickett and I got $2.50 tattoos from a drunken tattoo artist at the fair.  Back then, mostly sailors, hoods, and pachucos got tattoos so mine was not exactly well-received by family and acquaintances.  And here it is in all its glory along with a picture of Elise Roberts Hubbard as an infant.  If I knew then what I know now, I might have spent a few more bucks and gotten a better one.....Two years hence from this day, August 21, I would marry Mary Ann Hallenbeck and stay married for 56 years as of 8.21.2021.....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Susan: I can’t seem to put a posting: ELISE is ADORABLE, and the tattoo isn’t that bad. At least it’s not a naked lady with the name “Lucille” inscribed across your arm. :) Love - Sue

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"