Tuesday, August 02, 2011

August 2, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


August 2, 1963
Friday, cloudy 58 in am, ’70s.  Clifton went to work at Oneonta for day.  Wayne and Linda here at night.  Wayne, Sue and I went to Middleburgh shopping.


Comment:  The union must have called and Dad got at least one day of work.  Sounds like steady work on construction in the summer of 1963 was an "iffy" thing.  When I think about it, the Village of Middleburgh played a large part in our life on the hill.  It had the closest movie theater and a kid's ticket was 25 cents.  Dad would let LaVerne take us there quite often to the movies before he was 16  and he never got caught.  I went one time with the younger kids when I was fourteen and the Middleburgh cop stopped me after the movie.  He was good enough to let me drive home after a warning.  He was quite nice about the whole thing.  That put an end to those episodes.  Just outside of Middleburgh is Vrooman's Nose that we always have to climb every time we return to the area.  This is why:  

2 comments:

Gerry Hubbard said...

I always wish that Middleburgh still had a movie theater. It is such a cute town but doesn't have quite enough to make people go there (except Hubie's of course!).

Elizabeth Hubbard

deb said...

I miss the movie theater and Ben Franklin's, you could always find what you needed and then some. They still sell penny candy somewhere, because my kids bought some, of course you need a microscope to see it.

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"