Friday, August 19, 2011

August 19, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries


August 19, 1963
Monday, 40 in am.  Partly cloudy and becoming warmer,  upper 60’s.  I did a big wash in the am. Wyckoffs cut and baled hay below the  road and part of the Kane place.  Wayne, Earl and Bob took our two calves to Amsterdam.  I called Carol (Hubbard) at Oneonta and the tax office about Doug's taxes.  I cleaned stove pipe and chimney.
Comment:  Busy Monday, but 40 degrees in the middle of August?  The Kane place, (I always thought it was The Cane Place, but who knows,) was a 44-acre parcel of land to the west of the original Hubbard place starting just at the top of the hill running down into the creek.  Dad had farmed the deserted property for years and sometime just after I got out of the Army in the sixties it went up for back taxes and Dad told me to go to Schoharie and buy it.  I got 44 or so acres for $400.00.  Somebody bid against me but, since we had been farming the land for years, the judge gave my bid precedent.   I eventually gave Doug 22 acres where he resided and also an acre and a half to Susan when she married.  I've still got 21 of the acres. The acreage was rather un-fertile and it grew mostly "Whitehorse", a wispy type of hay.  And mom nonchalantly states she cleaned the stovepipe and chimney..........this is what the chimney look like from inside the house..don't think this met any too many building codes.....



No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"