Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

April 17, 1963
Wednesday, cloudy very little rain in afternoon and night 50’s.  Doug called 3 pm for us to pick him up at Albany airport 10 pm. David, the girls and I went, home at 12 o’clock.
Comment:  Doug home on leave after 4 weeks Navy boot camp.  Not much else apparently happened, but lots of comments about previous posts about the various accidents that we all seem to remember differently...:
Doug And I 1946:  


From Sister Marilyn:  "Gerald, The Diamond boy married to Shirley Clark was the Marine that hit the tree at  90 Miles and hour.  Does anyone remember that?  Cannot remember his first name at the moment.  (Eddie) Another great one.  Loved Susan's story,  giggling when we are nervous is it one of our family traits. Love "M"

From Marilyn's friend Charlotte Haskin Carlton:
Hi, Duane and Art Thorington were my grandfathers' nephews, his brother Alton Thorington's sons.   Duane was killed when they hit the bridge and Art committed suicide many years later at the rest/picnic area between Fultonham and Middleburgh near the Middleburgh bridge.  Art never got over the wreck and if I remember right,  he had two children not sure who he married.   Barry probably knows.   I think one of his children became a doctor,  very smart kids.   Their Dad Alton committed suicide on their farm about halfway between Livingstonville and Grandma Haskin's home.  The Chichester's live on the farm place now.  Charlotte

Now here is my take and I must be right because it's my blog:  It was Duane Thorington, Marine, that hit the bridge in Middleburg, not a tree as I once stated.  LaVerne, I, and I think Marilyn, went to see the car the next day....
The Diamond boy hit a tree heading for Middleburg from Schoharie on Route 30 just as the Middleburg flats start coming off the last hill from Schoharie...and his name was Eddie and I don't think he was in the Marines...I think he was a Sailor
Alton Thorington was a suicide and his other son,  Art was also.  I think Alton shot himself with a shotgun....all other opinions and recollections are welcome.....

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"