Saturday, April 07, 2012

Tuesday, April 7, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

April 7, 1964
Tuesday, 73, lovely day and really warm.  I ironed nearly all day.  Wayne and David and Clifton worked on Jim's chicken house.  They went to Escondido in pm.  Took heifer down and sold her.  Jim's were here for supper.  Marilyn had a shower for Onida and the children stayed here in the evening.  21 at shower.
Comment: Selling the livestock in preparation for leaving, I think...here is my Grandfather Elmer feeding his chickens on his farm on Hubbard Hill. In the forties, I'm guessing, looking east toward my father's farm about a mile further east. This picture reminds me of one of my favorite poems:

William Carlos Williams:

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens


No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"