Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

May 20, 1963
Monday, cloudy, 60 in am, hard rain, in afternoon,  clearing and colder 50.  I put in kitchen window and cleaned and did some mending.
Comment:  Mom probably got a piece of glass cut to size in Grand Gorge.  She then removed the old glazier points and old putty around the inside of the frame, inserted the glass, re-inserted the glazier points, then, puttied around the edge of the glass.  Probably the only tools used were a small tack hammer and putty knife.  I remember Dad cutting glass for one reason or another and he could do it very neatly and clean.  When I tried it, the edges were rough and uneven even if I did not break the piece of glass I was working on.  It seemed there were always cracked or broken windows in the house, especially in the barn,  and I recall the image of old rags stuffed in the broken windows to keep out the cold, bugs and dust.....


No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"