Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

May 18, 1963
Saturday, rain all day.  Clifton didn’t work.  I baked and the girls and I cleaned up the house. Roberta and LaVerne and Sandy were here in the evening.
Comment:  Dad rained out at work but the union probably paid him a half-day wages as "show-up" time.  Not sure what Mom baked but her rolls hot out of the oven with melted butter on top still makes my mouth water.  She could also bake incredible cinnamon rolls and I remember that a great treat was eat the bread dough spread with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar before it was cooked. Before we got our first Home Comfort gas stove, she baked and cooked with a wood stove and oven. I still remember the traveling salesman who stopped by the house with a small model of the stove and of how fascinated us kids were with the presentation.  When Dad finally said he would buy it, I thought that he was buying the small model and not a full-sized stove.  I think we bought the stove around 1944 because I was very young......


Here is a picture of a Home Comfort Combination Wood and Gas Stove almost like the one we bought:  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That same Home comfort stove was in the Buel house for many, many, years. Actually it's still in the garage.
Clayt

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"