Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Friday, November 20, 1964 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

November 20, 1964
Friday, cloudy early, becoming sunny, 50 early am, becoming colder.  I washed in am hung clothes upstairs and cleaned.  Clifton and I went to Middleburgh before dinner after posters and put them up in pm.  Boys got home from Virginia 4:40 pm.  Carol had first ball game at Grand Gorge.
Comment:  Wow, don't remember any of what the posters were for or Carol's ball game or the boys coming back from Virginia.....Thanks to siblings  LaVerne and Marilyn for their memories about This Old Desk.....here is a picture of us when when we were all very young and when the old desk was already in use in the house behind us....


From LaVerne:  Gerry:
As you know I have the desk. I purchased it when the contents of the home was going to the auction barn. The auction estimate was $400.00 which I paid.
I see evidence of green paint on the desk, the color is what you would get by mixing all the paint left overs of various colors, light green.
I do not remember this desk being in the Gilboa home Mom and Dad lived in when I was born. I think the desk was left in the house that they moved to that had been occupied by Grandma Anna Christiana Hubbard. "The Hubbard Hill home." Very possible that Gamalia and Anna used the desk. I think the desk came from the Christianas. The desk has dovetailing and other features that I do not believe Grover Haner had the tools to produce.
Grover was the son of Meg Hubbard Haner. Gamalia would be his uncle.
 Best always;
LaVerne

From Marilyn:  Hi All, I was under the impression that Grover Haner, made the desk and that Mom and Dad inherited when they moved up on the farm. If he made it or not. I never remember it being black. LU "M"

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"