Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thursday, October 24, 1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

October 24, 1963
Thursday,  beautiful day, 70's.  Lavilla and I went to Cobleskill shopping.  I bought cloth for Carols skirt etc for her to make at school.  Had prayer meeting here at night.


Comment:  Carol must be doing a project in Homemaking Class.  I took a homemaking class and learned how to iron shirts and press pants and used these skills in the Army to make some money.  I charged a buck to iron a shirt or steam press a uniform using a wet cloth but this was only feasible "stateside" because the "houseboys" in the Far East would do all the laundry, shine all the brass, polish the shoes and boots and keep you in "inspection" shape for five bucks a month. I was "outsourced" before the term was coined......

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"