Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Saturday, 16 April, 1966, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Saturday, 16 April 1966, The Frances Hubbard Diaries
Mostly Cloudy, 50.  Wayne and Laura here in afternoon and Michelle too and stayed for supper. Took a pie and went to call on Phyllis at night, her folks were there.  Glenna (?) Swella sick with pneumonia and in Kingston Hospital.
Comment:  Glenna is a friend from church....Here is a memory of Dad from an article in the Gilboa Historical Society, I think by Art Van Acken when he was driving a truck for Dad....Here is Dad with his grader.....

Clifton Hubbard was superintendent of highways and helping to rebuild the
surface of the ball field at the Gilboa-Conesville Central School. 

My job was to bring gravel from a bank near South Gilboa to the ball field, and Clifton would level it off with the town grader.
I had taken the muffler off the truck and used just a straight pipe—I enjoyed the rumble, but even I’ll admit it was loud.

On this one trip, heavily loaded with gravel and roaring along, I found my
brakes had gone straight to the floor. No brakes in a heavily loaded truck com-
ing into the village of Grand Gorge! By downshifting, I was able to make it
through Grand Gorge, then left and over the hill to Gilboa and the dam. I made
it to the school, unloaded the truck, and immediately worked on the brakes.
I am sure that making the trip down the hill north of Grand Gorge without
a muffler and with no brakes must’ve sounded like German dive bombers.

never told Clifton I had lost the brakes, and he probably thought I was just
showing off ! He was a man who seldom lost his cool.

As a senior who was there said, “Safety back then was something to be dealt
with each day. I think these reflect that period.”

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"