Monday, November 11, 2013

Thursday, November 11, 1965 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Thursday, November 11, 1965
Veteran's Day.  Cloudy and cold.  Girls and I went to Cobleskill shopping and to Mother's for dinner.  Got my  (?) and two chains.  Girls and I went to prayer meeting at nite.  Laura here for supper.  Jim Dods spoke and showed slides at church.  Janet and two girls and family called in pm.  I cut the girl's hair.
Where I Served....
Comment:  Although I don't remember it, Mom must have been a decent hair stylist.  Seems the friends and neighbors often visited to obtain her services. On Veteran's day 1965, the Vietnam War was ramping up with about 200,000 troops in country and only a fraction of the impending 58,220 deaths and 303,604 wounded Americans occurring.
If we had known then what a debacle it was to become, I wonder what we as a country would have done....I'm not too confident that we would have done anything significantly different.....When I was in language school in Monterey, recruiters swept through the school looking for potential helicopter pilots.  I volunteered and passed all the tests but the physical.  My poor eyesight probably saved me from an early death in Vietnam.  The first clandestine pilots in the late fifties and early sixties did not live very long.....

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"