Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Saturday, November 30,1963 The Frances Hubbard Diaries

November 30,1963
Saturday, cold, windy, snow squalls.  I ironed, sorted out some things.  Clifton cleaned out desk.  Linda Kingsley spent the day here.  Boys went out at night.  Roads slippery.
Comment:  Trip preparation continues, here is a picture of the desk Dad is cleaning out.  It was hand-made, I think, by Grover Haner and was a gift to Mom and Dad.  It was battered and beaten from hundreds of impacts and scratches from all the kids over the years.  I refer to it in one of my SongPoemStories,


 "The Milk Check Came Today"...
At his battered home made desk I still can see my Dad
As he pulled old bills from pigeon holes and paid with what he had
The checks he wrote left-handed as he shooed us kids away
Sustained the farm and family when the milk check came today.  
Take a listen by clicking the link below:


http://hubbardfamilymusic.blogspot.com/2011/04/milk-check-original-by-gerry-hubbard.html


3 comments:

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Susan: LV now has this desk in his cellar, and uses it. I was thinking it was older than Grover Haner – like it was some sort of Americana furniture or something. Are you pretty certain about Haner making it – Aunt Evelyn used to talk about Aunt Annie using it, and putting pies on the top... Anyone else know about the desk? Love - Susan
From LaVerne: Sue, I was under the impression it came with Grandma Anna from Ulster Co.??? Grover Haner thing is new to me.
From Gerald: I certainly could be wrong but I seem to remember Mom telling me when I was very little where it came from and Grover Haner sticks in my mind. I also remember it as black...and I'm not sure if Mom or Dad re-finished it.....was there another Grover who could have made it??
From Marilyn: I am quite sure that desk was in the house when Mom and Dad moved up there in 1938 and that Grandma Anna owned it before that. Grover Haner is the one who I always heard made it. Dad replaced the drop leaf which did not match the rest of the desk.Not sure what happened to the original one. I never remember it being black. Can anyone believe it is December already?? Marilyn

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Susan: Gerry:

I’m listening through the wall at my office, and my boss has YOU SINGING the Paycheck song... !!! :) He really enjoys your site. Susan

Susan Ciacci

Gerry Hubbard said...

From Susan: The drop leaf was broken by us kids – climbing on it and such. I remember when Dad made the new one for it. He wanted to try to keep it looking rustic and old – guess it worked. :) Love = Susan

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"