Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Saturday, 17 November, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries

Saturday, 17 November, 1962, The Frances Hubbard Diaries
I washed again, had Gerald's clothes to do.  Had bad headache at night, too tired. Appraiser from state was here.  Doug picked up "posters" at Middleburgh and put them up.  Girls and I went to Awana at night.
Comment:  I think the state appraiser was there to appraise the fire tower area in preparation for condemning it  for state takeover..."Posters" were no trespassing signs we put around the property boundaries to keep the "city" people out, usually during hunting season.....We only started using them in the sixties because of the influx or more and more non-local hunters.  I was deer hunting once in our heavy woods across the creek from our house and I froze while about five hunters bedecked in the latest gear noisily "drove" our woods laughing and smoking.    I was within about 10 feet of them and was afraid to move fearing the "shoot anything that moves" mentality that we felt the "city people" all had....they never knew I was there...

No comments:

You're always young in your mind it is said, No matter the face in the mirror, That you see with surprise then say to yourself, "What is that old man doing here?"